Ryanair bag size check at Dublin Airport Pic Courtesy Chris Bacon Daily Mail

We are asked quite a lot about whether our suitcases fit Ryanair Cabin Baggage allowance.  Ryanair are pretty strict with their guidelines – they even specify smaller sizes than the standard UK hand luggage guidelines drawn up by the Department for Transport:

Ryanair Cabin Baggage size:

A selection of Ryanair cabin baggage for kids from KidsTravel2

*click KidsTravel2 Ryanair cabin baggage to see the full selection.

Trunkis on Ryanair?  No Problem

We recently travelled to Barcelona on Ryanair and my daughter took her Trixie Trunki on as hand luggage.  We even spoke to Trunki who confirmed that although the measurements are slightly over they have never heard of a Trunki being refused as hand luggage by Ryanair.   Trunki can also personally vouch for this as the team flew to Ibiza last year with Ryanair and they all had Trunkis :)

Trunki cabin bags on Ryanair

Trunki cabin bags on Ryanair

If in doubt get a Ryanair approved size cabin bag

There’s something to be said for taking the worry out of travelling via Ryanair by choosing a bag that fits within their size guidelines and sticking with that.  We’ve shown you suitcases for children and this Cabin Zero cabin bag is a perfect one size fits all cabin bag requirements for adults.  Plus the fact its extremely lightweight meaning you can pack it to the max and get the most for your money.  It really is worth buying a bag like this if you’re going to be travelling Ryanair frequently.

How do Ryanair check the hand baggage size?

You’ll have to slot your suitcase, holdall or bag into one of Ryanair’s measuring cages.  If it fits you’re through and on.  If it doesn’t, well…  here’s what one group of young travellers did and am sure they are not the only ones to do this.

What happens if my bag is bigger?

Ryanair will refuse extra/oversized cabin baggage at the boarding gate.  You can place it in the hold of the aircraft for a fee of £40/€40. If you are unsure, check at the Bag Drop desk before going through security.

Avoid this hassle by checking our top tips here:

1.  Battle of the bulge.

Be aware that unless your suitcase is a rigid, hard case it is liable to bulge out of the specified dimensions so take care not to over fill it.  There is some lea way with the box and cage check but you don’t want to push your luck too far!

2.  Keep it light

Don’t forget about the weight allowance  and be sure to make sure you don’t exceed it.  You can always wear heavier or bulkier items that you want to take like jeans, jackets or boots.

3.  Share

If you’re travelling as a group and all want to take hand baggage then don’t double up on things you can share like toiletries and hair dryers.  If space is a premium you can always buy cheap items when you arrive at your destination

4.  Use your child’s allowance

Children under the age of 2 are classified as infants and do not qualify for a cabin baggage allowance.  Older children do so make the most of this by giving them their own trolley suitcase, holdall or rucksack to carry on.

5.  Use straps

If your luggage has straps, buckles and belts be sure to use them to hold things in place and keep your luggage within the guideline dimensions set by Ryanair – don’t overfill external pockets and pouches to push your baggage over the limits.

You can see our selection of Ryanair Cabin Baggage including suitcases, rucksacks on wheels and holdalls.  For details of what you are allowed to carry in your hand baggage see our article on hand luggage guidelines

If you enjoyed this article you’ll probably find these useful:

Cabin Baggage Versus Checked Luggage – Which Do You Take?

What’s the best cabin bag for Ryanair?

Have you ever had trouble boarding with your cabin luggage?  We’d love to hear your stories.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

98 Responses to Will My Suitcase Fit the Ryanair Cabin Baggage Rules?

1. Some great tip here. I do have a couple of others though – make sure you print your boarding pass before you go to the airport – they charge you a FORTUNE if you don’t – likely to be more than you paid for the flight originally.

Watch out as at some airports (including Stansted) the recheck your baggage at the gate, if you can’t fit your airport purchases in your handluggage you will be made to put them in the hold and charged for the privilege. I find though you can generally get away with carrying quite a large stack of magazines/papers through and sometime hide things under my coat (naughty!)

Buy luggage scales. They are very inexpensive and save a lot of hassle when checking in/going through security.

I fly Ryanair a lot because of where I live and find that if you follow all the rules to the letter and know what to expect, it’s not that bad. After all, what do you expect when you’re paying just a few pounds for your ticket?

• julia says:

Great point re boarding pass Catherine. We are travelling Ryanair again soon and it is certainly one to watch. Top tip re the coat – I even found some guy online who bought a special multi pocketed coat (and I’m talking about 20 pockets) specifically to use on Ryanair flights! Street cred – who needs it? I agree it comes down to following the rules closely so you don’t get caught out and if you don’t like it then you have the option of flying premium rates with another airline.

2. Yes I have seen the special coats with pockets for sale at airports – brilliant idea! I forgot my other tip is to take food and water on to the plane (after security of course) if you can be bothered – both are overpriced on the plane and kids won’t like the sandwiches (although they will like the Cheddars….)

• julia says:

More good tips – thanks Catherine. Was planning another post on that very subject! If people have made the decision to fly economy to save on costs these can quickly mount up in other areas – snacks & drinks being a key culprit.

3. Emma says:

Some really really good ideas here! I always think airlines like Ryan Air try it on a bit just in case they can make some extra cash!

Emma

4. kathy says:

does anyone know if kidz cutie cabin baggage by Skyflite ie. penguin and blue chipmonk, fits Ryanair’s restrictions.

• julia says:

Hi Kathy. I don’t think they do. They are sized at 48 x 35 x 25 cm whereas Ryanair cabin bag sizes are 55 x 40 x 20cm.

• Kelly says:

My son has the monkey suitcase. And his one fitted just perfectly in the plane. Although it was a Monarch plane. We are going on a Ryanair plane this Oct, and we will be taking his suitcase with us again.

5. ann reeves says:

Is the weight allowance for cabin baggage in addition to the weight of the bag/cabin bag as l have seen a great little case that conforms to size but weighs 7kg’s ?

• julia says:

Hello Ann – the weight allowance given by the airlines is for the bag and the contents so if you were to choose the bag that you mentioned at 7kg that would only leave you 3kg for contents flying Ryanair. I’m guessing it’s a rolling suitcase on wheels you have seen and the particular one you have your eye on probably has heavy wheels / handle mechanics? Don’t think any of ours weigh this much empty! Hope this helps.

6. Dom says:

It’s worth finding out how much your suitcases weigh.

I’ve just discovered that our “usual” large suitcase weighs a staggering 7.25 kilos! I intend to purchase a similarly sized “ultra-light” @ 2.35 kilos. That’ll give us roughly 40% more checked luggage!

Other hints: if the checkin scales say 20.x then they’ll generally accept it. I.e. 20.9 kg probably okay.

Smaller continental airports can have a much less jobsworth attitude to things – coming out of Rome on Ryanair we arrived very late for checkin and ended up checking in a significantly overweight suitcase (had intended to repack into cabin luggage) and even got waved through security with a full bottle of water.

Talking of repacking – I have discovered that the re-usable shopping bags sold by some supermarkets weigh only 100g and at 43 x 35 x 20 fit easily into the cabin luggage specs. So if you are a family of four, you could put handbag and laptop bag in one, kids backpacks in another, and have two more for clothes etc. to go back into the suitcase on arrival. This might be a lot more convenient than having large and intrinsically heavy carry-on bags.

For water I’ve found that in recent years, empty water bottles are okay so take them security and then find a tap. (Not always possible to find drinking water, of course! If you can’t, buy before you get on board. WH Smith’s usually seem to have some sort of package deal.) But my top tip is to take a handful of satsumas – tasty thirst quenchers that get through security without hassle.

Do NOT forget to remove drinks from your carry-on bags, no matter how stressed out by small kids you may be. The security people (Heathrow T5, at any rate) are in NO hurry to get round to checking your bag and clearly couldn’t care less if you make your flight or not. And do NOT forget a bag at security – if you go back for it, they’ll insist on going through it AGAIN, as slowly as possible.

One last thing – before finally hitting “buy” on a low-co site, check what’s on offer from the “full-fare” airlines. Often it’s only a few quid more by the time you’ve included everything including a drink on-board. Sometimes it can even be cheaper.

7. julia says:

Thanks for your useful comments, Dom. Definately with you on checking your suitcase weight well before your holiday – you don’t want a nasty shock when you pack it and weigh it at home only to discover it is your actual case which is the biggest thief of your baggage allowance. Also drinks bottles – have been caught out like this myself before. We now usually buy after having passed through security.

8. Emma says:

The airport security asked me to put my teddy bear in my carry-on bag (I was moving to uni from abroad lol). I started pretend crying and asked why the other kids were allowed to hold theirs but I wasn’t allowed to hold mine. They let me through :) And I usually wear about 300 layers as well.

9. Nan says:

Hi. Travelling with Ryanair tomorrow, just measured my cabin bag and the body of it fits their measurements if i don’t include the wheels which are about 3cm over. Will this be ok or will i get charged?
    Have they changed their allowance recently? I’m sure we used this bag on Ryanair before but a few years ago!

Hello Nan
      Cabin bag size should officially include all external handles and wheels. There is some lea way with the cage that is used to measure the bags (I have seen people desperately trying to squash bags in them!). However, if Ryanair staff wanted to it’s worthwhile bearing in mind they could enforce their policy which clearly states: ‘Strictly one item of cabin baggage per passenger (excluding infants) weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm is permitted. (handbag, briefcase, laptop, shop purchases, camera etc.) must be carried in your 1 permitted piece of cabin baggage. Extra/oversized cabin baggage will be refused at the boarding gate, or where available, placed in the hold of the aircraft for a fee of £50/€50.‘ These are the current restrictions / allowance – I am not sure when it last changed. Flexibility on the size may depend on who is at the gate and how busy the flight is. As I mentioned in this post we flew with a Trunki which is 0.5cm over the restrictions and that was fine – it fitted into the measuring cage. If in doubt you could try and call them direct before you fly http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/contact-numbers. Good luck!

• Sue B says:

Hi, I travel with Ryanair quite a lot and have been using the same cabbin bagage for about 2 years. It has smaller dimensions than specified by Ryanair but is about 4 cms. over on width at the bottom due to the wheels. On my last trip they made me put it in the box to measure and It wouldn’t quite go in , the wheels were sticking out. They made me pay a wopping 65 pounds….I was furious as there were people with bags twice the length of mine….mine was only 40 cms. long and 30 wide. I don’t think this was fair but the stewardesses at the gate were so rude to me when I pointed out that really my bag was quite small in comparison to everyone else’s. Apart from being abgry I was also very upset as I have flown all over the world when I was working and never had a problem. I am still upset about it as 65 pounds is a lot of money for me to pay as I am n ow a pensioner.

10. archie ford says:

I have a scooter.the handle bars measure 55cm width by 55cm height.
    the deck measures 25cm height and 68 cm length.
    can I bring this on the plane with me?????? :)

• julia says:

Not been asked that before! However, I would say no because the dimensions you give exceed the Ryanair cabin requirements of 55 x 40 x 20cm. Ryanair do also state ’8.4.2 We may refuse to carry as Baggage any item reasonably considered by us to be unsuitable for carriage because of its size, shape, weight, content, character, or for safety or operational reasons, or the comfort of other passengers.’ I was going to suggest if your scooter collapses down and it does not exceed the weight limit you could have placed it inside a lightweight cabin friendly holdall so that it just looks like a piece of standard cabin luggage. Given that I can already see your scooter exceeds the size restrictions I think you’re onto a loser – sorry!

11. jasmine says:

hi, i am flying with ryanair next week, havent included our middle names on board passes however they are on our passports, is this ok ?

• julia says:

Hi Jasmine. I would definately call them to check. I foolishly used the shortened version of my husband’s name – Chris – instead of what was actually on his passport – Christopher. I spent ages making sure I had put the right passport numbers in and tripped up at this hurdle. I was worried we would incur a fine for changing the names but luckily the person I spoke to was very understanding and didn’t charge me anything for the change. We did need to make the change though so ring up and check. Having said this, I did do a quick search for you and found some people also worried about their middle names being on their passport but not on their boarding passes. Seems they did not need their middle names on the boarding pass. Good luck – let us know how you get on.

12. Mrs Hamilton says:

Can you tell me please are you allowed to take shampoo, shower gells, conditioner, on to a Ryananir flight as Hand Luggage

Thanks

Hello
      You are allowed to take these items on board in your hand luggage there are restrictions on the size of the bottle and the quantity you can take (have to fit in a clear resealable bag): ‘any liquids, gels, pastes, lotions or liquid cosmetics MUST be presented at the airport passenger security point in a transparent re-sealable bag of no more than one litre capacity (e.g. 20cm x 20cm ziplock freezer bag). Only gels, pastes, lotions and liquid cosmetics in containers of 100mls or less will be permitted through the passenger security screening points at all EU/EEA Airports, please note there is a limit of one transparent resealable plastic bag per person’. Hope this helps!

13. Steve says:

Hi,
    I recently purchased a hold all bag with the dimensions 60x29x29. Would i be able to squash this into the hand luggage slot? Thanks.

• julia says:

Hi Steve – unfortunately your bag doesn’t comply with the size restrictions – 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. I guess if you don’t fill it up and can squish it into the hand luggage cage / bag measurer you might get away with it. But it would only take 1 eagle eyed Ryanair staff member to call policy and you’d be up for a fine to check the bag in. If you’re prepared to take the risk then that’s fine!

14. Mrs Fiona Green says:

hi ive just bought myself a light weight case dimensions 56.5 x 36x 21cm would this case be alloweD ? I realise it is 1.5cm over

15. julia says:

Hello Fiona – My answer would be pretty much the same as the one I gave to Steve above. Your bag is slightly over the dimensions Ryanair stipulate but you may be lucky and get away with it. The Trunki is slightly over and we flew with that. It did fit in the cage and Trunkis are a rigid case. We weren’t questioned about it at any point and Trunkis are pretty visible cases! If you are worried you could try giving them a call but they will probably just quote their policy so it really comes down to whether you are prepared to take the risk. Good luck

16. Paris says:

Hiya,
    Im going to Spain soon with RyanAir and i’m trying to make sure i take as much as i can but that fits the requirements. Do you have any tips as to how i can take more clothes/items? I have a suitcase which is well within the requirements but im more concerned about the weight…

• julia says:

Hi Paris – my advice would be to wear your heavier items – boots, jeans, jacket etc. Think about your outfits in advance so you don’t duplicate heavier items of clothing. Where possible choose lighter weight clothing and layer it up if cooler. Use lightweight accessories like jewellery & scarves to change the look of outfits. Take a kindle instead of books if you like reading to cut down on weight. And buy a set of luggage scales – cheap and well worth the investment. Practice packing before you go! Think I have mentioned before – make sure you leave some room / weight allowance as I expect you’ll want to bring a few gifts back and you don’t want to go over your allowance on the return trip – good luck!

17. Cat says:

Only first and surnames MUST be as on your passport.. hence ‘Chris’ not being accepted.
    Middle names do not need to be given/are not requested.
    This is the case for all airline bookings.

18. Paul says:

Hi, Do you know the actual measurement of the baggage cage? I know the dimensions of the baggage is 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, but the cage must be a little bigger.

Also, can I bring a razor with me in my cabin baggage?

Thanks.

19. julia says:

Hi Paul. Yes the cage is slightly bigger but I do not know the exact measurements of the cage. I can speak from our experience – we were able to get a Trunki in, which is oversize by 0.5cm. It was a snug fit and there wasn’t much lea way.

You are allowed to carry fixed-cartridge razor blades ie disposable razors

Hope this helps.

20. nikki says:

hi
    my partber and I are taking a ryan air flight next week and will only be taking cabin baggage, please can you tell me can my partner take on an electric shaver and beard trimmer with the blades etc or can it still be taken if its dismantled? he cant manage without it! and doesnt get on with disposables
    Also I have a venus razor- detatchable razor head- can i take that or if I seperate the blade and handle, can i still take it all in cabin luggage? lastly my luggage suitcase is the right size without measuring the wheels, with wheels included its 58cm tall… and theres no way of squashing the wheels!
    do you think this woudl be a problem?
    Thanks

21. julia says:

Hi Nikki

Electric shavers and razors are allowed. Fixed cartridge razor blades are allowed.

Ryanair have a list of prohibited articles you are not allowed to carry into the cabin. These are set out in their terms and conditions. Included in this banned list are ‘open razors and blades (excluding safety or disposable razors with blades enclosed in cartridge)’

The luggage measurements given by Ryanair include all wheels, handles, external pockets so your case does exceed their requirements. As mentioned to others it just comes down to whether you’re prepared to take the risk. If you’re going to fly Ryanair again you might be better off getting a Ryanair compatible bag.

Hope this helps

22. Meghavi says:

Hi,i am travelling to spain for 4 days and i have a holdall which i want to carry. We are not allowed to take luggage, just a hand luggage. the specific measurements for your airline is 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. however, my holdall is 58cm x 24cm x29cm. however, my bag is not a hard luggage, its a holdall which is able to shrink and crush to make smaller. Am i going to be able to take this bag? please contact me asap i am leaving a few days time.

King Regards

Hello Meghavi

It isn’t my airline! Just trying to be helpful answering questions about Ryanair’s cabin bag allowance and sizing policy :) The only advice I can give is exactly the same as before. Ryanair have a policy that stipulates the size of the bags they will and will not allow in their cabin. The size of your bag exceeds that. You may get away with it if you can squish it to size but ultimately that is a risk you will have to run on the understanding that you might be charged extra to place it in the hold. It might be cheaper to purchase a new holdall that meets their requirements. Good luck.

23. Lesley says:

Hi Julia,

How strict are they with the 10k?

Do they weigh hand luggage?

Thank you!

• julia says:

Hi Lesley. 10kg is the limit they specify. We haven’t had our luggage weighed but other people have. In my opinion it’s pretty hard to get 10kg of weight into the luggage size they specify unless you have a suitcase with heavy internal mechanisms or are carrying a case full of heavy items such as books! If you’re carrying mostly clothes and have a case that fits the size guidelines you’ll probably be ok but worthwhile weighing to check.

24. Lesley says:

Good advice. Thanks Julia.

25. m donegan says:

Can I take q suit bag s hand luggage on an Air Ryan flight to Dublin – this will only only include a male suit and my grand child’s suit for a wedding. Look forward to your reply.

Thnks M Donegan

• Hello – if your suit bags fit their cabin bag dimensions then that wouldn’t be a problem. Alternatively have you thought about carefully folding the clothes and including them in your cabin bags? Even if you get on with the suit carrier it would be bundled into an overhead locker and not left to hang up nicely so you may be better off packing to avoid creases in the first place.

26. jennie says:

hi julia
    we live in spain and are planning to go to uk for a holiday when we go to uk we buy lots of things to bring back with us so we are looking for a oversized information on a bag but cannot find on ryanair where its states the weight and cost of it can you help pleeeeeeeeeeze

• julia says:

Hello Jennie. If you want to take any bag larger than a cabin bag on Ryanair it would need to be checked into the hold at an additional cost. The details of weight and costs of checked bags are laid out here http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions#regulations-tableoffees. Note that each passenger is permitted to check in up to 2 bags and the fees are per bag per one way flight. You can check bags in online up to 4 hours before you fly and this is the cheapest way of doing it. In terms of size, for health and safety reasons Ryanair does not accept for carriage any individual item exceeding 32 kilos or with combined dimensions of more than 81cms (height), 119cms (width) and 119cms (depth). Hope this helps!

27. Claire says:

Can children aged 5 & 6 take hand luggage? Do u have to book hand luggage?? Thanks

• julia says:

Hi Claire – yes they can take hand luggage. You don’t need to book hand luggage in- only luggage you wish to check into the hold. You will however have to check yourselves in online before you fly

28. steve fox says:

hi julia, your giving people some really helpful tips. you mention in some responses, low cost baggage scales. do you know how much they cost and where they can be bought?

29. joyce says:

Hi Julie,just found this all this helpful information you are posting,but cannot find anything about taking the liquid for e-cigarettes in hand luggage and also is wrinkle cream (moisteriser )counted in the 100ml allowance please
    regards and thank you joyce

• julia says:

Hello. Ryanair do support e-cigarettes and I can’t find anything to say the liquid would not be allowed in hand luggage. I would advise keeping the original packaging so you can show what it contains. Moisturisers and creams count as liquids and would need to be in 100ml containers. You must be able to fit whatever liquids / lotions you are carrying on in a single, transparent, re-sealable plastic bag, which holds no more than a litre and measures approximately 20cm x 20cm. Hope this helps.

30. sheena greasley says:

Hi Julia,me and my partner are going to spain for 7 days, are we allowed to carry a suitcase each weighing upto 15kgs,and also a cabin luggage each weighing upto 10kgs.

Helle Sheena

Yes you can each check in 2 bags if your like weighing up to 15 or 20kg each bag (you’ll need to book your checked luggage when you book your ticket or up to 4 hours before you fly if you do it online). You are also entitled to 1 piece of hand luggage each up to 10kg and 55 x 40 x 20cm in size. Hope this helps.

31. james says:

hi my suitcase fits all the dimension but if u include the wheels and handle the height is 58 cm and its a hard bag would this be allowed?

• julia says:

Hi James – the strict policy quotes that the size includes all external handles, wheels, pockets & flaps. As mentioned before you may be lucky and get away with it but if they wanted to call policy they could. Let us know how you get on?

• zara says:

Hi there. am i able to take a small suitcase as long as the stated 10kg and size dimensions are taken into account on ryanair?

• julia says:

Hi Zara – yes you are able to take a small suitcase as your cabin bag provided the weight and dimensions are right. Have a good trip!

32. Neil Sheth says:

Hi everyone,

Here’s an iphone app that lets you measure your hand luggage and confirm the size fits within the airline you’re flying with

Check it out – http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/hand-luggage-size-measure/id523432315?mt=8

Thanks
    Neil

33. zara says:

Thankyou Julia :)

34. Cyd says:

Hi, just wanted to drop in to let you all know that if you’re taking kids drinks or baby food through security in hand luggage that you will be asked to taste them if they’re oversized, so avoid things you can’t reseal. Also, only milk or water is allowed as a kids drink, and generally kids drinks are only really permitted for little ones, not older kids.

And remember, container size counts too! Your sudocream might be almost empty but if it’s in a 200g pot it’s still not allowed.

I work for airport security, I see a lot of people with kids make these mistakes!

35. natasha says:

The passport name is Erick Cheuk Him Pang, after i have booked it i have found out that i spelled it Chuek so do i need to spend £110 to just change that 1 letter (middle name).

Hi Natasha

Someone else commented here earlier on:

only first and surnames MUST be as on your passport.. Middle names do not need to be given/are not requested. This is the case for all airline bookings.

However, if you are in any doubt I would recommend you contact Ryanair direct on this one.

36. [...] is some pretty funny YouTube footage, that I originally found here, of some girls falling foul of the Ryanair baggage restrictions, followed by Perry Como and [...]

37. Philip says:

HI lots of useful tips here. We have always travelled Easyjet to Spain 4 times a year with their larger luggage allowances – and similar flight prices. Next week we have to fly Ryanair because of the times. Do you know whether you can carry cameras, phones and even electric shavers around your waist, in your pockets etc (remembering to show them at security. Maybe cables/adaptors around you neck. They can soon add up the KGs. Any other workarounds other than layering?

Hi Philip

I’m not sure about strapping things round your waist. Ryanair do state

If you have a handbag, briefcase, laptop, airport shop purchases, camera etc. these must be carried in your single permitted item of cabin baggage.

Some people do purchase these many pocketed jackets to try and work round things. My advice would be only take what you really need and look at the bag you are taking to try and maximise the room you have and minimise the weight like with one of these cabin zero bags. Lots of suitcases with wheels have heavy internal mechanisms for the trolley handles and wheels. Alternatively bite the bullet and pay to check a bag in!

38. Christina says:

Hi Julia,

I am about to fly with Ryanair and my trolley is 57.5X35X20. Do you think that it is OK to be used as hand luggage?
    Thank you in advance for your help.

• julia says:

Hi Christina. Am sure you’ve read on here that Ryanair’s cabin bag policy stipulates 1 piece of hand luggage maximum size 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. So, your bag is 2.5cm over the regulation. You may get away with it but I can’t guarantee that. It depends on many factors – which staff are running checks on that day, how busy the flight is, which airport you are flying from (you may get away with it on the outward flight but not the in bound flight!). Ultimately it depends on whether you are prepared to take the risk and possibly face the penalty fine! If worrying about it is likely to ruin your enjoyment of the trip I would recommend getting a different bag that fits the guidelines. Good luck.

39. Mr & Mrs Foster says:

In answer to the question about Cuties luggage, we had a varied experience when travelling Ryanair in December. Going from Stansted to Tenerife it was not queried by their check-in staff. When flying from Tenerife Norte to Barcelona their own staff (a new route following Span Air’s demise) allowed it through no problem, but when departing from Barcelona to Stansted they refused it as hand luggage at the boarding gate although it was not challenged at check-in! We were surcharged Euros50 only for the cabin crew to agree it was ridiculous not to allow it on as hand luggage so on it went.

Evidently Ryanair were taking a very hard line as it seems the Spanish are not used to Ryanair’s restrictions and so try to take on huge volumes of hand luggage. It was annoying to see passengers boarding well after us with far more hand luggage – clearly the need to get everyone on in time to take off is more important than applying the luggage rules fairly.

We see Cuties carefully avoid claiming their luggage meets all aircraft cabin baggage rules but feel they should put a clear warning on their website and at point of sale given Ryanair carry more people than BA. Imagine the chaos if a child were refused to take their Cutie on board!

We got the item at an airport luggage shop, by the way.

• julia says:

Thanks for the useful feedback Mr & Mrs Foster and for sharing your experience. Think the previous comment was about the Skyflite Skykidz luggage which is very similar in appearance to the Cuties and Pals range of luggage for children. However, both trolley cases are over the stipulated size for Ryanair hand luggage guidelines but do fit within the general UK hand luggage guidelines including several other UK airlines.

Your Ryanair experience reflects that of many others – in some instances you may get away with a bag being over and others you may not. This will depend on many factors including the airport, the staff and how busy the flight is as you point out yourself.

This is why we always advise our customers to check the dimensions of the cabin bag they intend to buy or use against the policy of the airline they are flying with. We link to a list of UK airline hand luggage sizes from each of our suitcase pages so a direct comparison is possible.

40. Melinda says:

hello
    my question: is there any hand luggage checker in london?
    in my town on the continent, in the center you can walk in a shop where they also sell plain tickets, and you can slip your hand luggage there in to the checker. is this exists too somewhere here in london? if yes so – where is it?

• julia says:

Hi Melinda. Interesting question! There is obviously a hand luggage checker at the check in gate in the airport but I’m not sure about anywhere else. Personally think your best bet to save the time and effort of tracking one down is just to measure your packed case carefully with a tape measure and make sure you include any external wheels, handles & storage pockets and that you stick within the size regulations 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.

41. Ling says:

Hello,My luggage is 58*30*20. And the down side is hard, and the other three sides are soft. Because the material of the luggage is cloth. Can I take it in the Ryanair Plane? Thanks.

Hello Ling

The cabin bag policy for Ryanair clearly states maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. One side is 3cm over which is officially 3cm too much. If you do not overfill the bag and it will squish into the cage you may get away with it. As with previous comments it will depend on how vigilent the staff are on that day and how many checks they are doing. Good luck

42. Luke says:

Hi I’m going with Ryanair from Malta to Valencia.Does the 55cm dimension mean the length of the hand luggage or width?Now,my hand luggage is 53cm wide,38cm tall x 18cm.Is it good?Thanks

• julia says:

Hi Luke. As long as your hand luggage fits in the Ryanair measuring cage it doesn’t matter whether it is the length or width. The maximum dimensions are 55cm x 40cm x 20cm and your hand luggage is within that so it will be accepted as cabin baggage – happy travels!

43. terri ashall says:

Trying to find out if I can take the travel sized aerosol deodorant and shaving cream on board as hand luggage. Don’t know if you can rely. But thanks just in case. Terri

44. emma osullivan says:

can you wear an over sized hat on my head or does it have to fit in my case i am going to a wedding ??

Hi Emma
      I’ve never been asked that before! I don’t know but as long as it doesn’t invade your neighbour’s personal space I can’t see why not. If you want to take it on in a hat box here is what Ryanair have to say: ‘Objects which we deem unsuitable for carriage in the aircraft hold (such as delicate but small musical instruments, wedding dresses, hat boxes, etc.), and which do not meet the requirements set out in Article 8.7.1 above, may nevertheless be accepted for carriage in the cabin if they can be safely and conveniently secured into an extra seat which you have purchased for the specific purpose of same.’ So you may have to buy a seat for your hat. I’d ring them and check. Good luck.

45. David says:

For those who are worried that their case might be a fraction oversized with the wheels be careful how you place it in the cage:
    I have a small solid case which, with its wheels is a little over the Rynair permitted handluggage size, but I always place it in the Rynair cage wheels first facing the back as the back of the cage is open. It won’t fit the otherway round because the front of the cage has a solid sheet of metal.

46. Helen says:

Can a family of 4 pool their luggage and just pay for two items of hold baggage i.e kids stuff in one bag and husband and wife clothes in the other

47. C says:

Can a family of 4,pay for one item of hold baggage and providing it weighs no more than 15kg or20kg(whichever is bought)-and just share the case??-can anyone help?

48. Zara says:

Can I pack some of my clothes in vacuum bag? I will travel with cabin baggage.

49. Zara says:

I will travel with cabin baggage, can i put my clothes in a vacuum bag ? Or that is not allowed?

Hello Zara
      Compressing clothes into a vacuum bag is an excellent space saving tip – you’ll just need to keep an eye on the weight. However, as mentioned before it’s pretty difficult to exceed the weight limit given the restriction on cabin bag dimensions with Ryanair unless you’re carrying a suitcase full of books or pebbles!

50. Hello! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be okay. I’m undoubtedly enjoying your blog and look forward to
    new posts.

51. Maja says:

Hallo,
    I will be traveling with cabin baggage. I would like to know if I can put my laptop in a suitcase as cabin baggage so that I will still have one piece.
    Also if the regulations about what you can and can not take as personal baggage on the plane apply also for unchecked suitcase ( all liquids under 100ml etc. ).

52. Maja says:

Also, can I have hair iron in my cabin baggage ?

53. matthew perryman says:

can I take a two man tent as hand luggage it fits weight and size restrictions but there are the flexible poles and metal pegs ?

54. Kate Gillespie says:

I bought a cabin case fro Tesco, dimensions are 46X34X22 so although it says it is suitable as cabin baggage its actually 2cm deeper than the Ryanair guidelines. Will I get away with it or should I use a different bag? I don’t want to wait until I get to the airport to find out!